Saturday, November 24, 2018

Call To Duty # 26

"Keji, Keji, Keeji!!!"
"What is it?!!"
"Guess what?"
"What?" Keji asked her friend who is obviously out of breathe. She took a moment to catch her breathe.
"The Corper...the Corper, Balogun and the Professor are at the Isale Odo path with some heavily built youths."
"What are they doing there and how does that concern us here?" Feeling disgusted.
"They say that they want to build a road there"
"Road? I don't understand."
"From what I can gather, the King had sent them to construct a road there"
"Haba! This our people self. I wonder how they think. What is wrong with the main road that passes through the town, instead of wasting time and effort on constructing a new road, why don't they just finish up this one that the State government refused to complete, ehn?"
"Abi o!"
"Anyway, na them sabi. Whatever they want to do, I wish them well. It's high time someone breaks the monopoly of the state government"
"Abi o.Government with all their false promises. In fact, I'm tired of them, Wallahi!" Lara commented.
"No be only you o! This is the more reason I shall be paying the levy promptly!"
"What levy, you mean the King's levy, are you serious Keji? Anyway, you are rich. I don't have money to waste in my own case"
"You see, this is the problem, this is the reason why no one has come out all this while. The people that you wish to sacrifice for, most often are not worthy of the sacrifice...they don't even think you are doing it for them. Their believe is that you are looking up to some rewards. So, they most often than not frustrate your effort in helping them. Ha! Africans, when shall we wake up, when shall we stop thinking like fools and wise up a little bit?" Keji lamented.
"Are you talking to me?"
"Does it look like I'm referring to you?"
"I mean, what have I said to deserve all those insults? You know what we go through when we travel to the hamlets where we get our raw materials from, the local government men are all over us in the market, now the King too wants to have a bite too? No way!!!" Lara declared. Keji looked at his friend pitifully and suddenly busted in to laughter.
"What's so funny about what I've said now?"
"Lara, haa! Na wa for you o! Ehn? I can't believe you are this ignorant! Wait o! Ever since the State and the Local government revenue workers have been collecting money from you, what have you gained from them?"
"Nothing! The more reason I'm not paying the King's levies!" Lara proclaimed. Keji shook her head in disappointment.
"The state and local governments collect N50 - N50 on daily basis from you and you can not even complain about it. The King is asking for just N100 per month from you and you have already judged the poor king before you even give it out!"
"Who can complain about the government? We all know what happens when you complain. The King of all people should know that it is not easy coping with all those taxes for him to compound our woes with his own customized taxes. What has the King too done for us, ehn?"
"He has conducted a Census and according to the Corper, the Census results shall help the King plan and serve us well. Where do we expect him to get the money with which he would carry out his proposed project for us. You said it yourself, the youths are already at the town's border, making moves to commence the construction of the much needed road for the town. This is the first time, the King is making such a bold step, why don't we at least pay the levies for a few months to see what comes out of it? "
"Keji, it's not easy..."
"I know, but we all know that we owe the King our loyal support...he's our King...our leader, we can't rubbish him like that, we shouldn't turn our backs on him especially when he hasn't done anything wrong so far to warrant that! He says he is ready to serve us, let's give him a chance...just a chance!" Keji urged her friend.
"Keji, Keji! A true Daughter of the land! I don hear o,I shall pay the levy"
"Ehen! Now you are talking!"
"So when are you going to pay?"
"I heard, the register is already open and people have started paying. Why don't we go tomorrow?"
"Tomorrow, Monday, no problem,I'll go with you!"
"Thank you my good friend...Ijinle ko ni baje o!"
"O baje ti" Lara responded. The two friends laughed it off.

______________________________________________

"Kabiyesi o!"
"Corpers, please, rise"
"Thank you Kabiyesi"
"You are welcome. You have come to see your friend?"
"Yes sir" Shade, Kole and Rachael chorused.
"That's good...that's good...Corper!" The King called out to Adisa who was actively supervising the work of the youths with the Professor, Balogun and the youth leader. He ran to meet them.
"Yes, Kabiyesi"
"Your Corper colleagues wants to see you. I don't know why they have refused to join you actively in the great work you are doing with us? May be you should talk to them too... I would really appreciate it if they'll do as you do" The king said.
"No problem sir. I believe they are working on one project or the other for the town.We have all agreed to leave a good impression and a memorable mark on the town before we leave sir"
"Is that true?" The King asked the other Corpers.
"Yes sir": They chorused.
"Ehen? That's interesting and good to know. I'll be expecting to see them."
"Yes sir" They chorused again.
"Alright then, Corper, as you already know, I'm taking my leave, please tell the others to supervise and see to it that the working youths are well catered for."
"Yes sir"
"Tell the Balogun to see to it that the youths go home with the special package I've provided for them."
"Yes sir"
"Okay. I'll leave you to attend to your colleagues now."
"Thank you sir. Kabiyesi o!" Adisa had said. His colleagues followed suit paying their respect to the King as he took his leave.
"Adisa disa! The Crown Prince of Ijinle town. Abegi, na wetin you see for inside this town sef?" Kole asked
"The Future"
"The Future?"
"Yes,the Future"
"What future? Abegi pack well!" Kole said. Adisa laughed.
"You'll never change. Anyway, guys, I've been longing to prove to the world that there are alternatives to the politicians. I figured out that this is the best way to prove my point so I keyed in"
"Does that mean that you had it all planned from the beginning...as in from the time you made that statement that got the King's attention?" Shade asked.
"Now, that's the thing with opportunities. They just come gboam! Like that...no warning at all. I didn't plan it this way, I made the statement out of conviction. But when I was asked to defend myself, I saw the opportunity not only to escape punishment but an opportunity to make my dream come true!"
"What dream is that?"
"To make myself both name and money!"
"Ehn?!" His colleagues exclaimed.
"Yes! What do you think I was aiming for?"
"I thought you were doing it simply out of love and passion for the people" Shade said. Others nodded in agreement.
"Yes, That's true, but, like you should know, the question is, in the end, what do I stand to gain as the hero of the people? Fame, Power and immense wealth of course!" Adisa laughed.
"Oh! That...pheew...that was a very, very expensive joke. Stop it!" Shade said with a deep sigh of relief.
"Yes. It's a joke and it is not a joke. It's also the truth...that's why it pays to be good. Be the people's hero and they'll literally worship you!" Adisa said.
"I see..." Kole commented.
"So, what brings you guys here?"
"Well...we thought you should share the booties with us"
"Booties?"
"Yes, the booties...in the same vain, we think it's equally imperative for us to contribute our quota to the CDS you seem to have monopolized"
"Monopolized? Please o, abegi o, I no monopolize anything o!"
"Oh yes you have...this one that you are asking everyone to contribute to the town's general development, who would listen to us if we ask for funds to build the labouratory we planned to build?" Kole asked.
"We...as in.. I don't understand" Adisa said.
"We, as in I and Rachael"
"Oh, I see. But what I'm doing does not stop you fa"
"We know, we were just kidding" Rachael who has been silent all the while said amidst a smile.
"Toor. Thank you, Rachael for saving the day"
"You are welcome"
"Is there anyway we can help...with anything?"
"Sure! There's plenty of room. You just tell me which part you wish to help with"
"No, I think you are in the best position to do that" Kole said.
"Okay guys,I'll see what I can do"
"Okay, no problem. Guys, let's go" Shade said. Just about then, Balogun called on him.
"I got to go...catch ya later"
"Byyyye!" Shade said childishly. Adisa looked at her and winked. She winked back with a smile. Kole, saw it all and coughed jokingly. Rachael laughed patting him gently at the back as they took their leave.

To be continued on Monday! 

No comments:

Call To Duty #40

The Local Government Chairman has been very busy. He had been so busy that he had almost forgot all about his political party that brought h...