Thursday, May 9, 2019

Call To Duty #31

The Chairman has his head buried in some files  in his office when his Personal Assistant bumped in.
"Oga..." He said as he made his way in.
"Is it true that the Governor is trying to get to the King and the Corper?" He asked as he settles in a seat.
"Abi o, na so I see am o!"
"Ehn... what are you going to do about it? Abi..."
"Abi what?" The Chairman asked as he raised his head angrily.
"Sorry sir"
"Don't be...what a pity! I can't stoop that low, Segun. Apart from the fact that it's unholy and immoral, it's degrading indeed! You need to see the Governor talk about the plan, kai, it's so disgusting!" The Chairman said.
"But, sir, is there another way out? I mean if the King is not tackled on time and tamed...ehen...sir, it could spring a revolt which our leader might not be able to handle" Segun submitted. The Chairman stared at him for a moment and then bust into laughter.
"Sir, it's not funny!"
"Oh, it is! I mean...look at you, my P.A. for so many years, you should know better. Can't you see the writing on the wall? The Revolution has begun already.The Leader has lost it! Throughout the years, the secret weapon, as in, the secret tool by which the Dynasty was built and built upon is selective generosity of the Leader to the people."
"Selective generosity?"
"Yes, 'chop make I chop' style of government. He is the godfather that has been fighting tooth and nail to serve the people despite the inadequate flow of resources... this is how the people see him and they have been praising him for his philantropic gestures especially when the state finds it difficult to pay salaries" The Chairman explains. His P.A. giggled along as he was talking because they both know that the tale is a mere make - believe story that the state government have been selling to the illiterate majority of the state.
"Why are you laughing now?"
"I'm sorry sir...please continue"
"You laugh because we both know that this is not true. We both know that the greatest hindrance to development in the state is the Leader and his political machinery that we are, unfortunately, part of...we joined because we thought we had no choice. But, that boy just proved us all wrong. He has taken the initiative and the spring board of the NYSC to launch a land breaking revolution against the status quo. The boy is in my good books." the Chairman confessed.
"Is that why you are not partaking in the Palace coup?" the P.A. queried.
"No oooo! No way!" The Chairman responded shaking his head and making a 'no' gesture with his hands. Then he gasped.
"You know...I didn't take part in the Governor's plan because, the plan will fail, what am I saying sef? It has failed already!"
"Fail?"
"Yes!"
"How, have you warned the governor about it?" Segun was worried.
"Relax, my friend! Yes, I did warn him, but, he still wants to go ahead with the plan."
"But, why?"
"Ah-ah, because he didn't see what I've seen. He thinks the Dynasty is still as invincible as it used to be..."
"Is it not?" Segun interrupted out of curiosity.
"Unfortunately, my friend, the Dynasty is withering away slowly. Before it comes caving in, we should all be putting a plan 'B' in place." The Chairman replied a rather very confused Segun.
"I...I...don't understand sir..." he stammered. The Chairman stood up from his work to join his P.A. on the other side of his desk.
"Let me ask you, in your neighborhood, like how many people do you know that speaks well of the current dispensation?"
"Mmmm...I get your point. We are no longer commanding the kind of respect we used to command. But, does that matter?"
"You will answer the question yourself very soon. When you are loosing face, when you are loosing respect and still refuse to stop doing what is making you loose face, what do you think will happen with time?"
"Ah!"
"My brother, the Dooms day is fast approaching,we had better make ready for it!"
"How do we do that and...how close are we to it?"
"As close as the next electioneering year"
"What?! Haba! I'm sorry sir, but I disagree!" Segun said laughing sarcastically.
"The Elections are just 15 months away and as it stands, more and more people are talking and blowing really hot online. Many opposition groups have sprung up most of which have members that are taking the fight to their immediate communities. They continue to expose the many ways the Dynasty is bleeding the state. We have started feeling the effects of these activities every now and then when we appear at a function or the other. Aren't you a witness and almost a victim of a little scuffle at the fundraising diner party at the 'La Porche' hotel?"
"Yes...I wassss" Segun remebers.
"Okay. Now, this one...the Royal scuffle!" The Chairman added. Segun sank into his seat very worried.
"But sir...sir..." He stammered and gasped in disgust.
"Are you still in doubt?"
"No sir...yes sir!" Segun answered, confused. The Chairman laughed.
"I hope you haven't forgotten that we are no longer in terms with the Federal Government who controls all the organs of both security and elections?"
"Hmmm..."
"This means that in the forthcoming elections, we shall be participating based mainly on our popularity which we no longer have, do we, well, are you still doubting the fall of the Dynasty?"
"But sir, are you saying there's no hope?"
"Of course, there's hope. It's just that the leader is too proud to stoop low enough to do the needful"
"What is that sir"
"Oh, it's easy, by making up with old enemies, saying the words 'I am sorry, I won't do that again' to the people in general, the restoration of the dignity of those that have been hurt, the King of Ijinle for instance and showing serious signs of change in the way business is done. With these and more, the Dynasty might still stand a chance to stay afloat!"
"Eh!"
"What is it, do you think the Leader is ready to do all that?" The Chairman asked.Segun shook his head slowly.
"I didn't think so either!"       

No comments:

Call To Duty #40

The Local Government Chairman has been very busy. He had been so busy that he had almost forgot all about his political party that brought h...