"Hmmm...Corper, that would be a bit difficult"
"I expect it to be, your highness. It's never easy nor is it a quick venture. That's the more reason I'm introducing it this early sir. This whole project hinges on it sir. Without it, the whole project would fail and we shall become the laughing stock of the state."
"God forbid!"
"Amin!" Everybody present exclaimed. The Professor stood to speak.
"Kabiyesi, you don't worry. We know how to make it work. Just give the go ahead and make the announcement. Everyone shall eventually join in...it's only a matter of time."
"Are you sure?"
"Yes, Kabiyesi" The Professor affirms.
"Balogun...hmmm!"
"Kabiyesi, I want you to have faith in this project. we have gone too far into it to doubt it now."
"Ehn...but..."
"Ehn, Kabiyesi, I want you too trust in us. We shall deliver God's grace" Balogun assures the King.
"Okay... let's do this!"
__________________________________________________
"Wait o. Which is that they are starting with, the Secretariat, the Road or the Transport company?"
"Wetin concern you ehn?"
"I'm a bonafide indigene now"
"So?"
"Hey, hey. You guys should stop all those nonsense. we are in the city, remember. Na to chop we come here for not to start an unnecessary fight! The Corper has just begun...let's wait to find out which is which."
"See, Akanni, you don't understand. Rumors has it that we shall be levied"
"What?!" Akanni and Komolafe exclaimed.
"Ehen! And you are blaming me for wanting to know. Look, I don't know about you guys, but, as for me, should anyone think of getting money from me, he should be able to satisfactorily explain what he'll be using the money for!" Jamiu proclaimed. His friends were quiet for a while, they never saw it that way.
"Wait o, where is that information coming from?"
"From the market. Two women were discussing the matter. According to them, the Commissioner for Town and Urban planning was at the radio station and was interviewed about the matter. He was the one that made the statement."
"Really?" Akanni asked.
"Yes. According to one of the women, the Commissioner said that when a government conducts a Census, it is also to effectively tax the people. Meaning that in addition to development, the Corper would be suggesting a tax policy very soon."
"Who would pay? Ehen! I talk am! This one wey a non-indigene carry our matter for head so tay im dey talk of a greater Ijinle town...I get my doubts o. Wallahi!" Komolafe commented.
"Haba! Komolafe, you disappoint me. How you dey talk like woman like this. This is the more reason why we need to patiently wait to see what they are up to. Abi you think the State government would be happy to see any town develop without their help? Use your brain abegi!" Akanni rebuked his friend.
"Ehn, but, we cannot just sit back and wait. The Corper in question is my friend..." Jamiu started
"Uhn-uhn! Na my enemy" Komolafe interrupted.
"Na you sabi. All I know is that we need to know crystal clearly what we are about to get into. Period!" Jamiu stated.
"Well, we can't do that just yet. When we get home, we would do that...but,please, let's get something straight. We need to keep faith with the Corper and the King. There are too many involved for the Corper to commit such a grand offence as embezzlement without getting caught. We need to be calm and follow them to a very high extent. It's going to be a calculated risk just as coming to do business here is to us personally. I hope you understand?"
"If I get you right, we should play along until they disappoint us, then we can pull out, right?" Jamiu inquired.
"Yes."
"You guys can leave me out of that...one small boy can not come from his village to scam me here in my home town. Never!"
"Haba, Komolafe..."
"Wo, leave me o Akanni. What is it na? I say I no do. Period!" Komolafe retorted. His friends didn't say a word afterwards. He has obviously made up his mind on the matter.
__________________________________________________
"Did you hear the News?" The Balogun asked the Corper as he bashed into the Chemistry Labouratory of the School. All the students looked up apprehensively. The Corper too was surprised.
The Balogun, having noticed that the Corper was not alone got hold of himself and concealed his anxiety. The students too responded by a chorus welcome to him and he responded warmly as if nothing has happened. The Corper then, excused himself from the practical class and gestured the Balogun to his cubicle.
"Can you imagine, the shameless Commissioner was at a radio program and was blabbing rubbish!"
"Balogun, please, calm down. One of my colleagues told me of the radio program and I listened to the end. There was nothing extra ordinary about the program"
"You think so, not even the levying part, how it is only the governments' levies that must be paid how paying the King's levy is optional and how much they are ready to prosecute anyone that would impose any levy that hasn't be ratified by the government?" The Balogun queried. The Corper busted into laughter.
"Young man, this is not a laughing matter at all!"
"I know sir, I'm very sorry...it's just that this matter is not a big deal at all!"
"Ah-ah...I don't understand!"
"Okay sir, I shall explain. To start with, obviously, the Governor have heard about the Census and he didn't like the idea"
"Yes"
"Ehen! It's only a matter of fact that he would do whatever he can to play down the potency of whatever the Census is all about. Another thing I want to believe that the Governor is aware of is that the town is embarking on a major developmental program and she is not involving the State government. That would be revolutionary and if it succeeds, there shall be many other 'copy cats' to follow. It could mean the end of his political career and that of all members of his party.They would fall out of the people's favor for not doing enough for the them. People like us would be targeted and silenced either voluntarily or forcefully!" The Corper explains
"Eh! Silenced?" The Balogun asked with wide opened eyes. The Corper laughed.
"Yes o, Balogun. There shall be a deliberate act to silence us. For the King, it shall be an offer of promotion and commencement of a couple of state projects in the Town."
"Hmmmm! Bad boy! This is what you have been waiting for...to get the Governor to promote the King as you promised"
"Yes sir" The Corper responded giggling. The Balogun sat back thoughtfully for a while.
"Ehn, Corper, the King would get what he wants...what about us, the chiefs and the people generally?"
"You too, shall get all that you truly deserve because all the bribes of this world cannot stop us from continuing this project. We'll only have to be smart about it."
"Smart about it, what do you mean, what is really going on?" The Balogun asked. The Corper sighed smiling to himself.
"It's a long story sir. You wouldn't understand and it is not advisable to divulge too much of the plan. I just want you sir, to keep calm and keep faith. We are all going to the top together with this!" The Corper assures. Balogun shrugged in agreement.
"Well, whatever you say Corper. Just don't forget me in this grand project of yours"
"Definitely not sir" Adisa said in the midst of laughter. The Balogun stood up still trying to understand what was discussed.
"Kai! I think I'm getting too old for all these" He concluded. The Corper started laughing again.
To be continued on Saturday!
"I expect it to be, your highness. It's never easy nor is it a quick venture. That's the more reason I'm introducing it this early sir. This whole project hinges on it sir. Without it, the whole project would fail and we shall become the laughing stock of the state."
"God forbid!"
"Amin!" Everybody present exclaimed. The Professor stood to speak.
"Kabiyesi, you don't worry. We know how to make it work. Just give the go ahead and make the announcement. Everyone shall eventually join in...it's only a matter of time."
"Are you sure?"
"Yes, Kabiyesi" The Professor affirms.
"Balogun...hmmm!"
"Kabiyesi, I want you to have faith in this project. we have gone too far into it to doubt it now."
"Ehn...but..."
"Ehn, Kabiyesi, I want you too trust in us. We shall deliver God's grace" Balogun assures the King.
"Okay... let's do this!"
__________________________________________________
"Wait o. Which is that they are starting with, the Secretariat, the Road or the Transport company?"
"Wetin concern you ehn?"
"I'm a bonafide indigene now"
"So?"
"Hey, hey. You guys should stop all those nonsense. we are in the city, remember. Na to chop we come here for not to start an unnecessary fight! The Corper has just begun...let's wait to find out which is which."
"See, Akanni, you don't understand. Rumors has it that we shall be levied"
"What?!" Akanni and Komolafe exclaimed.
"Ehen! And you are blaming me for wanting to know. Look, I don't know about you guys, but, as for me, should anyone think of getting money from me, he should be able to satisfactorily explain what he'll be using the money for!" Jamiu proclaimed. His friends were quiet for a while, they never saw it that way.
"Wait o, where is that information coming from?"
"From the market. Two women were discussing the matter. According to them, the Commissioner for Town and Urban planning was at the radio station and was interviewed about the matter. He was the one that made the statement."
"Really?" Akanni asked.
"Yes. According to one of the women, the Commissioner said that when a government conducts a Census, it is also to effectively tax the people. Meaning that in addition to development, the Corper would be suggesting a tax policy very soon."
"Who would pay? Ehen! I talk am! This one wey a non-indigene carry our matter for head so tay im dey talk of a greater Ijinle town...I get my doubts o. Wallahi!" Komolafe commented.
"Haba! Komolafe, you disappoint me. How you dey talk like woman like this. This is the more reason why we need to patiently wait to see what they are up to. Abi you think the State government would be happy to see any town develop without their help? Use your brain abegi!" Akanni rebuked his friend.
"Ehn, but, we cannot just sit back and wait. The Corper in question is my friend..." Jamiu started
"Uhn-uhn! Na my enemy" Komolafe interrupted.
"Na you sabi. All I know is that we need to know crystal clearly what we are about to get into. Period!" Jamiu stated.
"Well, we can't do that just yet. When we get home, we would do that...but,please, let's get something straight. We need to keep faith with the Corper and the King. There are too many involved for the Corper to commit such a grand offence as embezzlement without getting caught. We need to be calm and follow them to a very high extent. It's going to be a calculated risk just as coming to do business here is to us personally. I hope you understand?"
"If I get you right, we should play along until they disappoint us, then we can pull out, right?" Jamiu inquired.
"Yes."
"You guys can leave me out of that...one small boy can not come from his village to scam me here in my home town. Never!"
"Haba, Komolafe..."
"Wo, leave me o Akanni. What is it na? I say I no do. Period!" Komolafe retorted. His friends didn't say a word afterwards. He has obviously made up his mind on the matter.
__________________________________________________
"Did you hear the News?" The Balogun asked the Corper as he bashed into the Chemistry Labouratory of the School. All the students looked up apprehensively. The Corper too was surprised.
The Balogun, having noticed that the Corper was not alone got hold of himself and concealed his anxiety. The students too responded by a chorus welcome to him and he responded warmly as if nothing has happened. The Corper then, excused himself from the practical class and gestured the Balogun to his cubicle.
"Can you imagine, the shameless Commissioner was at a radio program and was blabbing rubbish!"
"Balogun, please, calm down. One of my colleagues told me of the radio program and I listened to the end. There was nothing extra ordinary about the program"
"You think so, not even the levying part, how it is only the governments' levies that must be paid how paying the King's levy is optional and how much they are ready to prosecute anyone that would impose any levy that hasn't be ratified by the government?" The Balogun queried. The Corper busted into laughter.
"Young man, this is not a laughing matter at all!"
"I know sir, I'm very sorry...it's just that this matter is not a big deal at all!"
"Ah-ah...I don't understand!"
"Okay sir, I shall explain. To start with, obviously, the Governor have heard about the Census and he didn't like the idea"
"Yes"
"Ehen! It's only a matter of fact that he would do whatever he can to play down the potency of whatever the Census is all about. Another thing I want to believe that the Governor is aware of is that the town is embarking on a major developmental program and she is not involving the State government. That would be revolutionary and if it succeeds, there shall be many other 'copy cats' to follow. It could mean the end of his political career and that of all members of his party.They would fall out of the people's favor for not doing enough for the them. People like us would be targeted and silenced either voluntarily or forcefully!" The Corper explains
"Eh! Silenced?" The Balogun asked with wide opened eyes. The Corper laughed.
"Yes o, Balogun. There shall be a deliberate act to silence us. For the King, it shall be an offer of promotion and commencement of a couple of state projects in the Town."
"Hmmmm! Bad boy! This is what you have been waiting for...to get the Governor to promote the King as you promised"
"Yes sir" The Corper responded giggling. The Balogun sat back thoughtfully for a while.
"Ehn, Corper, the King would get what he wants...what about us, the chiefs and the people generally?"
"You too, shall get all that you truly deserve because all the bribes of this world cannot stop us from continuing this project. We'll only have to be smart about it."
"Smart about it, what do you mean, what is really going on?" The Balogun asked. The Corper sighed smiling to himself.
"It's a long story sir. You wouldn't understand and it is not advisable to divulge too much of the plan. I just want you sir, to keep calm and keep faith. We are all going to the top together with this!" The Corper assures. Balogun shrugged in agreement.
"Well, whatever you say Corper. Just don't forget me in this grand project of yours"
"Definitely not sir" Adisa said in the midst of laughter. The Balogun stood up still trying to understand what was discussed.
"Kai! I think I'm getting too old for all these" He concluded. The Corper started laughing again.
To be continued on Saturday!
No comments:
Post a Comment