Monday, November 12, 2018

Call To Duty # 22

"What?!"
"Sir, I warned you o!"
"You mean he went ahead with the Census?"
"Yes, he did and it was very, very successful" The Chairman responded. The Governor sat back into his chair and slowly leaned back thoughtfully.
"Ah-ah. What is he up to?"
"I really don't know. This is the first I would hear of such. A king conducting a Census"
"Em...whatever it might be, I know for sure that it would involve the people.The best he can do is to try to put up a levy on the people."
"Levy?"
"Yes! What else could it be?"
"Ah,ah,ah! Your excellency, I now understand! The king is trying to get back his pound of flesh"
"Pound of flesh, how, what do you mean? I don't understand."
"Do you remember that your excellency had just upgraded some Royal fathers?"
"Yes"
"Well, he didn't make the list!"
"So?"
"Ah-ah...he's probably doing all these just to discredit you sir. I think he should be stopped"
"Discredit me? I still don't know how he can do that with a Census...or could it be...no way! Look, you don't worry, he wouldn't dare. But, if it's true and he tries in any way, I shall have him removed!"
"Okay sir. My candid advise is that you should ensure you keep an eye on him because he can be very funny as he is so daring and bold"
"Don't you worry my friend...don't worry!"
"And the levy?"
"Levy? Oh! That wouldn't be my problem...it's left for his people to decide what to do. The State and National taxes are high enough, I doubt if anyone would want to be saddled with a kobo more!"
"Okay sir. we should allow him?"
"Yes. If they accept, I wish them good luck!"
"Okay sir"

__________________________________________________

"Yes, you are right my dear. The Town is a typical Nigerian rural area setup that is full of stranded and frustrated subsistence farmers! The best help they can get and in fact, their immediate need is a ready made market for their farm produce."
"Yes sir. This is why I am proposing the Road construction after the Purchase of the Fleet of cars for the Transport company."
"Road? Is that not too ambitious?"
"Yes, I agree with the Youth leader. In as much as we all want to get things done quickly and hitch free, we'll need to watch what we plan to do. Road construction is capital intensive. This is why you see everyone leave the task to the government. The Federal especially" The Professor said
"I know sir. But I'll like to assure you that we can do this the most effective way. All I need is your full cooperation sirs."
"You already have that, Corper. What exactly do you have in mind?" Balogun chipped in.
"Thank you sirs. What I have in mind sir, might sound funny but it's something that we can do and have our way with it. We'll need at least a hundred able bodied youths and a huge clay deposit." The Corper revealed. His audience looked at each other and busted into laughter.
"It can't be what I think it is, could it?" The Professor asked.
"Yes, it is sir."
"Fired bricks?"
"Yes sir!"
"Wow!" The Professor exclaimed.
"You are so daring. I like that!"
"Thank you sir."
"But, a hundred youths wouldn't be enough"
"It depends sir. The Dry season has just commenced. I think we can complete this before the Rains are back" The Corper explains.
"Hmmm...that's true. But can't we make provisions for more men?" The Youth leader inquires.
"Of course we can. I'm just being conservative that's all"
"In that case,I propose two hundred" The Professor said
"Let's make it three sir" The Youth suggested.
"Well done Olori odo. Now, we need to know how much it shall cost to employ the youths and for how long they shall work?" The Balogun contributed.
"That's no problem, sir, I'll handle that. I can get the three hundred youths who would accept half of the normal pay of a labourer in a day would work for as long as is necessary!"
"Hm! I trust you. You have them all at your beck and call"
"Yes o, Balogun! That's why I'm a the Youth leader"
"Yes.It's good to know that you are serving us well." The Professor said.
"So, when should I start recruiting?" The Youth leader asked.
"Immediately of course!" The Professor exclaimed.
"Yes na! Olori odo, you don't need to ask now!" Bolgun added
"I'm sorry. I just don't want it to look like I'm being naive"
"It's okay. Commence recruitment immediately...or Corper, what do you think?" Balogun asked
"That's right sir. We need to start work ASAP!"

__________________________________________

"Tehahahahahaha!" Komolafe laughed hysterically.
"And what's so funny?!" Jamiu asked angrily. Komolafe was still laughing.
"Komolafe now. Behave!" Akanni weighed in.
"I'm sorry, don't mind me...aah...I'm sorry...I'm no longer laughing" Komolafe said as he tries to get hold of himself.
"Let's forget it. Just forget it" Akanni said as he gestured with his hand.
"The Weekend is at the Corner. How do we do?"
"I think we have agreed to rest this weekend and make our hustlings strictly during week days?" Komolafe responded.
"Yes, but, you know, Jamiu and his new customer..." Akanni had started when Komolafe started laughing again.
"I'm sorry...it's so funny to me!" Komolafe apologized.
"Jamiu, don't mind him...you know him now"
"Eh...I do...but...it's most unfortunate"
"Ah-ah, Jamiu. I said I'm sorry. You know what? Don't you worry, I and Akanni shall help you out. Don't worry...ehn?"
"Hmmm...it's okay. Thank you both"
"You are welcome" They chorused.


To be continued on Wednesday!

No comments:

Call To Duty #40

The Local Government Chairman has been very busy. He had been so busy that he had almost forgot all about his political party that brought h...