"Akanni, Jamiu, where are you coming from?" Komolafe asked his friends.
"Ah! No vex ore, we had to reach the Palace to drop our royalties with the King" Jamiu replied. Komolafe laughed.
"Don't mind me jare, I've forgotten that you one of the very mumu's that are left in this town.You need to see how a stubborn goat like you guys was disgraced in my neighbourhood this morning. But, knowing him for who he is, I know he would still see it through. But, ah, ore, the embarrassment was so horrible that his wife wept for him.He had to force his wife and grown up kids to pay the royalties because, left to his kids and wives, known of them would be paying the yeye levy"! Komolafe narrated. His friends shook their heads pitifully for him.
"Eh, na so e be my friend, all of us cannot be wise, the society would not be complete without fools like us." Akanni said
"Abi!" Jamiu commented mockingly.
"Shall we go straight to business?" Akanni suggested.
"Sure! why not?" Komolafe agreed. The three friends settle down and Akanni opened the minute book of their meeting.
_____________________________________________________
"Kole, how far ?"
"Omo not too far jare, I dey kampe!"
"As you know that we are gradually coing to the end of our service year here in Ijinle, I was wondering if you wouldn't mind to stay back and work with us... you know... for a while?" Adisa asked. Kole smiled knowingly.
"Adisa, you are funny o! Anyway how much are you willing to pay for my service, what makes you think you can afford the services of a graduate? As an Economist, a graduate of the Prestigous Obafemi Awolowo University of Ife my take home would not be less than N100K per month with a befitting living quaters and an official car among other benefits!" Kole Bragged. Adisa could not hide his surprised with his eyes wide open.
"Ah! Oga, no vex, I was thinking that you wouldn't mind working with us now and getting paid later. I was thinking that you'll be able to to delay gratification for a little while our efforts starts to bear fruits. I'm very sorry for disturbing your peace...it...won't happen again. Sorry!" adisa said and turned back.
"Ah ah, bros, them no dey shakara una ni?"
"As how, you call that shakara?"
"Yes now, you don't expect me to just give in like that now...okay, how much you won pay?" Kole asked.
"N20 K"
"Ehn?! Money for wetin be that?"
"Ah-ah, for your upkeep na! Look, if e no reach you, no wahala, make I dey waka..."
"Ah-ah..." Kole pulls adisa back by the arm.
"Your shakara sef do dey too much, omo, twenty bay...on top all the suffer suffer wey I suffer school? Haba, that one no fair now! Make, make you try adjust small...as in add something now and make your boy happy!" Kole urged him.
"Okay, thirty bay, last!"
"Ha! Thirty bay..."
"Yes! No more, no less!" Adisa declared. even though he's not too happy about it, Kole was glad that he's getting a head start
'At least that would be enough to keep soul and body together in the mean time.' he thought.
"Okay o...chairman, I don hear o!"
"You hear or you gree"
"No be the same thing, shooooo, I tire for you o!"
"No be the same thing abeg, this is business care must be taken in everything. O'boy, Rachael go dey useful too o! You talk am for am?" Adisa asked.
"Which kain tin be that, abi you won put personnel manager join the one wey you won give me?"
"How you dey talk like that? You know say, I no sabi am reach you and i know say she go quickly gree if you talk to am than when anyone else does...please na" Adisa begged Kole who is already rubbing his cheek mischievously.
"Ehn...no wahala na...so...how much you go give me?"
"As how?" Adisa with a frown.
"Ehn, how you go dey frown your face like that...no be job you give, abi when e don become a crime to get paid for a job?" Kole asked. Adisa was furious. He hissed.
"You no serious!" He said angrily as he turns away. Kole pulled him back laughing.
"Nawa for you o! Them no dey play with you? Kai! You too like money!" Kole teased.
"Anyway, Rachael is staying back with me. You should know now...we are both like the snail and it shell...no snail leaves it's shell behind, okay? So, calm down it's a done deal. But, you go find something for her too o!"
"That one no be problem. You should understand by now, that I no fit do you guys bad. I deliberately asked that you guys be included if you show interest. I did this knowing fully well that you no get anything at home to keep you busy just like myself. Although I couldn't tell for Rachael, Shade already made me realize it that we are in the same category in the regard so ..."
"You decided to ask from me, her boyfriend?" Kole chipped in jokingly.
"Exactly!" Adisa agreed. Kole was happy to hear that and showed off with a knowing smile and a slow proud rub of his bare chin.
"It's okay, I'll talk to her and i know she'll agree. Just make sure you keep your side of the bargain"
"Oh, you can count on that!"
_____________________________________________
"Keji, is it possible?"
"What?"
"All the things the things the Balogun and Iyalode said"
"Why not? I believe it is very possible if they are have sincerity of purpose. But how many have that today, Omolara?"
"Ehn? I hope you are not insinuating that ..."
"I'm not insinuating anything my friend. It's just that it is hard to come by anyone in this country of ours that would be that faithful. as Yoruba would say, 'Bi a ba lowo lowo, iwa oniwa lama nwu' (meaning: the true character of a man is manifest only when he becomes a man of means)"
"Hmmm...you are right ore mi!"
"This however, does not mean that they wouldn't do anything. They would, my prayer is tat they should do more work than embezzlement"
"Amin ore mi" Lara responded.
"Ehen...don't forget that tomorrow is the D- day...this one that you come to work late these days...hm! Nawa o! My just be careful!" Lara said jokingly. Keji laughed.
"Don't mind me. I won't let that happen tomorrow. I would not sleep in the room tonight and I would be wearing like 3 shorts altogether!" Keji said. The two friends laughed heartily as they make there way back to their place of work.
"Ah! No vex ore, we had to reach the Palace to drop our royalties with the King" Jamiu replied. Komolafe laughed.
"Don't mind me jare, I've forgotten that you one of the very mumu's that are left in this town.You need to see how a stubborn goat like you guys was disgraced in my neighbourhood this morning. But, knowing him for who he is, I know he would still see it through. But, ah, ore, the embarrassment was so horrible that his wife wept for him.He had to force his wife and grown up kids to pay the royalties because, left to his kids and wives, known of them would be paying the yeye levy"! Komolafe narrated. His friends shook their heads pitifully for him.
"Eh, na so e be my friend, all of us cannot be wise, the society would not be complete without fools like us." Akanni said
"Abi!" Jamiu commented mockingly.
"Shall we go straight to business?" Akanni suggested.
"Sure! why not?" Komolafe agreed. The three friends settle down and Akanni opened the minute book of their meeting.
_____________________________________________________
"Kole, how far ?"
"Omo not too far jare, I dey kampe!"
"As you know that we are gradually coing to the end of our service year here in Ijinle, I was wondering if you wouldn't mind to stay back and work with us... you know... for a while?" Adisa asked. Kole smiled knowingly.
"Adisa, you are funny o! Anyway how much are you willing to pay for my service, what makes you think you can afford the services of a graduate? As an Economist, a graduate of the Prestigous Obafemi Awolowo University of Ife my take home would not be less than N100K per month with a befitting living quaters and an official car among other benefits!" Kole Bragged. Adisa could not hide his surprised with his eyes wide open.
"Ah! Oga, no vex, I was thinking that you wouldn't mind working with us now and getting paid later. I was thinking that you'll be able to to delay gratification for a little while our efforts starts to bear fruits. I'm very sorry for disturbing your peace...it...won't happen again. Sorry!" adisa said and turned back.
"Ah ah, bros, them no dey shakara una ni?"
"As how, you call that shakara?"
"Yes now, you don't expect me to just give in like that now...okay, how much you won pay?" Kole asked.
"N20 K"
"Ehn?! Money for wetin be that?"
"Ah-ah, for your upkeep na! Look, if e no reach you, no wahala, make I dey waka..."
"Ah-ah..." Kole pulls adisa back by the arm.
"Your shakara sef do dey too much, omo, twenty bay...on top all the suffer suffer wey I suffer school? Haba, that one no fair now! Make, make you try adjust small...as in add something now and make your boy happy!" Kole urged him.
"Okay, thirty bay, last!"
"Ha! Thirty bay..."
"Yes! No more, no less!" Adisa declared. even though he's not too happy about it, Kole was glad that he's getting a head start
'At least that would be enough to keep soul and body together in the mean time.' he thought.
"Okay o...chairman, I don hear o!"
"You hear or you gree"
"No be the same thing, shooooo, I tire for you o!"
"No be the same thing abeg, this is business care must be taken in everything. O'boy, Rachael go dey useful too o! You talk am for am?" Adisa asked.
"Which kain tin be that, abi you won put personnel manager join the one wey you won give me?"
"How you dey talk like that? You know say, I no sabi am reach you and i know say she go quickly gree if you talk to am than when anyone else does...please na" Adisa begged Kole who is already rubbing his cheek mischievously.
"Ehn...no wahala na...so...how much you go give me?"
"As how?" Adisa with a frown.
"Ehn, how you go dey frown your face like that...no be job you give, abi when e don become a crime to get paid for a job?" Kole asked. Adisa was furious. He hissed.
"You no serious!" He said angrily as he turns away. Kole pulled him back laughing.
"Nawa for you o! Them no dey play with you? Kai! You too like money!" Kole teased.
"Anyway, Rachael is staying back with me. You should know now...we are both like the snail and it shell...no snail leaves it's shell behind, okay? So, calm down it's a done deal. But, you go find something for her too o!"
"That one no be problem. You should understand by now, that I no fit do you guys bad. I deliberately asked that you guys be included if you show interest. I did this knowing fully well that you no get anything at home to keep you busy just like myself. Although I couldn't tell for Rachael, Shade already made me realize it that we are in the same category in the regard so ..."
"You decided to ask from me, her boyfriend?" Kole chipped in jokingly.
"Exactly!" Adisa agreed. Kole was happy to hear that and showed off with a knowing smile and a slow proud rub of his bare chin.
"It's okay, I'll talk to her and i know she'll agree. Just make sure you keep your side of the bargain"
"Oh, you can count on that!"
_____________________________________________
"Keji, is it possible?"
"What?"
"All the things the things the Balogun and Iyalode said"
"Why not? I believe it is very possible if they are have sincerity of purpose. But how many have that today, Omolara?"
"Ehn? I hope you are not insinuating that ..."
"I'm not insinuating anything my friend. It's just that it is hard to come by anyone in this country of ours that would be that faithful. as Yoruba would say, 'Bi a ba lowo lowo, iwa oniwa lama nwu' (meaning: the true character of a man is manifest only when he becomes a man of means)"
"Hmmm...you are right ore mi!"
"This however, does not mean that they wouldn't do anything. They would, my prayer is tat they should do more work than embezzlement"
"Amin ore mi" Lara responded.
"Ehen...don't forget that tomorrow is the D- day...this one that you come to work late these days...hm! Nawa o! My just be careful!" Lara said jokingly. Keji laughed.
"Don't mind me. I won't let that happen tomorrow. I would not sleep in the room tonight and I would be wearing like 3 shorts altogether!" Keji said. The two friends laughed heartily as they make there way back to their place of work.
No comments:
Post a Comment