Akanni is still thinking deeply about his most pressing problem of the moment - how to earn enough money to cater for his,his wife's and children needs when his friend Komolafe walked in. Komolafe had to jilt his friend to consciousness as soon as he realized that his friend had not noticed him.
"Akanni,what is the matter,why are so lost in thought,what are you thinking about?"
"Hmmm...my friend,what else would I be thinking about,ehn,what?!"
" Keji again? I told you,I warned against getting married to such a beauty.I told you she's not meant for our type!"
"Haba! You know how it all happened you know that I had no problem letting her go but..."
"But what?! You had alternatives,there was Bunmi who is equally well endowed both front and back,the only difference was that Keji was more beautiful and lighter in complexion...yes,she was a smaller size and shorter height,nonetheless ,she was a perfect replacement to Keji..."
"Hey,hey,hey! Stop!!!"
I know,I know you'll flare up,this has been your attitude anytime we tell you the truth about Keji. I only wish you would keep your marital problem with her to yourself and stop bringing it to work. Bunmi would never threaten you knowing fully well that you are doing your best to earn enough money to cater for the family's needs."
"Listen to yourself! What makes you think Bunmi would be different is she not a woman too?"
"Yes,she is,but a very different one from Keji. While Keji was proud and pompous,Bunmi was gentle and humble. You know much you had to put to get Jamiu off your back. Well,unlike Jamiu, I shall continue to prick your conscience for picking Keji over Bunmi!"
"What's your problem now? Fine,I have challenges with money now,but,it wasn't like this,you know...I used to be okay...just because...anyway,it's not your fault...not your fault walahi!" Akanni said in the midst of tears. Komolafe,knew he had just broken his friend who was truly financially fine as a bachelor. Ever since he was robbed of some brand new tyres he had just procured for the vehicles of a bank in town,he had been paying back the money through his nose. It took the intervention of the King himself to broker the deal of paying back in instalments.
Komolafe was moved too,he hadn't wished to hurt his friend. He moved close to him and put a hand around his neck.
"I'm sorry,but,that was the reason we told you to stay off her. We all know that Keji agreed to marry you then because of your financial status. It wasn't like she loved you."
"Of course,I know,is it an offense to wanting to have the goodies of life?"
"Of course not! It's just that we shouldn't go for them when we have doubts if they'll last"
"But,she's still in my home,she haven't left me!" Akanni protested to the amusement of Komolafe who laughed at his comment.
"Calm down bro,calm down. What's the use of sticking with you as a great source of sorrow? I mean,what's the use of a woman in the house if you can't have her anytime you wish to? If you'll ask me,there are other reasons why she remained stuck to you"
"Other reasons?"
"Yea!"
"Like?"
"Well...you can't tell. It could be probably because of what people might say if she had deserted you in your trying times. She knows what we your friends are capable of...especially Jamiu who had openly asserted that she'll leave you in times of sorrow...yes! That could be the reason!"
"Ehn???"
"Yes! But,don't bank on that for long...she would still make the move anytime she finds a big money bag as a suitor...she would just deny you and leave!"
"God forbid! I mean,after 3 kids? No way!"
"Tehahahahaha"
"What's so funny?"
"You are!"
"Me,how?"
"You seem to under rate the beauty of your wife. The other time I saw her in trousers,I was blown away myself. Now,imagine it was some other guy from out of town cruising in his brand new jeep...hmmm...my friend,this was the reason why we fought so bitterly against your choice then!" Komolafe said. Akanni was short of words. He let out a huge sigh of regret.
"But,looking on the bright side..." Komolafe began. His friend raised his head on hope.
"...I think you'll be getting another chance financially if what I heard transpired in the Palace today is anything to go by."
"Really,what is it?"
"Remember the Corper with a big mouth?"
"Corper?"
"The Corper that said that the King is clueless!"
"Okay! I remember,what about him,what has he got to do with anything" Akanni asked looking confused .
"Well,him don land one big contract and he'll be needing a lot of hands to carry out the contract"
"Really?"
"Yes o! Smart guys don dey go visit am dey congratulate am say make him no forget them for him kingdom o! I'm on my way there myself!"
"What of Jamiu?"
"Jamiu,Jamiu no get sense walahi. The idiot had gone to the place...he called to inform me on phone on his way back,can you imagine?"
"Jamiu,hm! Would be ever change?"
"Change ke? The day Jamiu change na the same day the Devil go repent!" They both laughed.
Thursday, February 1, 2018
Call to Duty # 9
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Call To Duty #40
The Local Government Chairman has been very busy. He had been so busy that he had almost forgot all about his political party that brought h...
-
"Hahahahahaha!" "But, sir, this is not funny...I'm serious here sir!" "My brother, relax, there's nothin...
-
The Chairman has his head buried in some files in his office when his Personal Assistant bumped in. "Oga..." He said as he made...
-
As the Balogun and the Youth Leader continued to slug it out as to the next project to be executed after the road construction, the King wa...
No comments:
Post a Comment