"Ok,'Mr look inwards' I think you should get started with the explanation of what you mean by 'looking inwards'" The Balogun bellowed.
Only this time,Adisa had calmed down and too stable to be worried by the threat in Balogun's voice.
"Well,sir,when I said 'looking inwards' I meant that the King must stop looking up to any other person outside himself to do his work for him"
"Shut up!" Balogun roared
"How dare you,Kabiyesi,with your permission,I shall teach this low life a very bitter and unforgettable lesson,just give the order!"
"Balogun,please,calm down. Let us hear the Corper out,please calm down,ehn,calm down." Kabiyesi responded. Turning to the Corper.
"Young man,as you can see,my cabinet members are not really happy with you.You have better come up with a worthwhile explanation."
"Yes,sir.Esteemed members of the royal council,I've not come to ridicule you,neither did I say what brought me to your presence out of mockery.I'm also a Yoruba man who values and cherishes the Yoruba culture and heritage.I dare speak ill of you and your council of chiefs. To be honest,I meant well!" Adisa explained.
"Corper,please save us all that nonsense and go straight to the point.What do you mean by looking inwards?" Iyalode demanded as she is getting rather irritated with the Corper's attitude.
"Yes,ma...sorry ma!"
"Sorry for yourself!"
"Ok sir and ma." Adisa said trying to be careful not to offend anyone any further.
"It is my utmost belief that if you want anything to happen,you should be ready to make it happen yourself.I also strongly believe that whatever it is that I desire,I'm already blessed with all that it takes to get it.In other words,in my opinion,you should give what you have to get what you want." Adisa began.
"If I'm not mistaken,this town has a local government of its own,it is also blessed with very loyal indigenes that would do all in their powers to better the lots of the town and above all, the town has a very,very dedicated King and council of Chiefs" Adisa paused a little bit to look around and observe his audience.To his amusement and pleasure,he has their attention!
"In my opinion,that's all that matters...you see,all those political structures and arrangement does not really matter when it comes to governance until you matter". Corper Adisa asserted. The Chiefs moved and adjusted themselves in their seats.It was obvious that the young man had unsettled them.
"The people would continue to be deprived of the dividends of democracy until they are able to assemble and organize themselves into a formidable force and one people.That can not happen unless you get involved" Adisa continued.
"Democracy is a game of number,unless you get the number,you get nothing.Your situation is much better off considering the fact that you own a local government of your own.It doesn't get any better!" Adisa observes that the chiefs and the King are have fixed their gaze on him as he delivers his speech.
"It all begins with thinking much bigger of yourselves.Go memory lane,ask yourself,how did your forefathers managed the affairs of the land before the emergence of the white people?" Adisa continued.
"Your royal highness,your people need you to go proactive,they need you to take the bull by the horn and lead them to the promised land.It's high time you started thinking of yourself as the Head of State of Ijinle town," Adisa said.The King and his chiefs burst into laughter.
"This Corper go kill person o!" Otun said in the midst of his laughter
"O ga o!" Iyalode commented
"Corper,you are so funny you really think you can just stand up and do whatever you want in this country.You'll get hunted down and killed.What you've said may be possible in the developed world.I'm sorry,but that cannot happen in this jungle called Africa!" The King submitted
"Not when we do it right,sir...not when we do it together!" Adisa insisted. Everyone stopped laughing and gazed at Adisa who had just yelled at them.
"Corper,are you serious?" The King was surprised.
"Of course,I am,your majesty.I know this sounds awkward,but,it's worth trying...if you can just give me your maximum cooperation for just one year,I promise not only to help you gain the first class status but also help put a lot of infrastructure in place!"
"Corper! Do you know what you are saying?!" The Balogun yelled
"Yes,I do sir!" Adisa yelled back.
"But you have only six months to go..." Iyalode started
"I'm ready to stay another six months,even a year more just to prove my point!" Adisa interrupted and everybody went silent. They noticed the high level of seriousness and conviction with which Adisa is conversing with them.
"Okay,what happens if you fail?" The King broke the silence
"I'm ready to face the consequences sir" Adisa responded confidently.
Only this time,Adisa had calmed down and too stable to be worried by the threat in Balogun's voice.
"Well,sir,when I said 'looking inwards' I meant that the King must stop looking up to any other person outside himself to do his work for him"
"Shut up!" Balogun roared
"How dare you,Kabiyesi,with your permission,I shall teach this low life a very bitter and unforgettable lesson,just give the order!"
"Balogun,please,calm down. Let us hear the Corper out,please calm down,ehn,calm down." Kabiyesi responded. Turning to the Corper.
"Young man,as you can see,my cabinet members are not really happy with you.You have better come up with a worthwhile explanation."
"Yes,sir.Esteemed members of the royal council,I've not come to ridicule you,neither did I say what brought me to your presence out of mockery.I'm also a Yoruba man who values and cherishes the Yoruba culture and heritage.I dare speak ill of you and your council of chiefs. To be honest,I meant well!" Adisa explained.
"Corper,please save us all that nonsense and go straight to the point.What do you mean by looking inwards?" Iyalode demanded as she is getting rather irritated with the Corper's attitude.
"Yes,ma...sorry ma!"
"Sorry for yourself!"
"Ok sir and ma." Adisa said trying to be careful not to offend anyone any further.
"It is my utmost belief that if you want anything to happen,you should be ready to make it happen yourself.I also strongly believe that whatever it is that I desire,I'm already blessed with all that it takes to get it.In other words,in my opinion,you should give what you have to get what you want." Adisa began.
"If I'm not mistaken,this town has a local government of its own,it is also blessed with very loyal indigenes that would do all in their powers to better the lots of the town and above all, the town has a very,very dedicated King and council of Chiefs" Adisa paused a little bit to look around and observe his audience.To his amusement and pleasure,he has their attention!
"In my opinion,that's all that matters...you see,all those political structures and arrangement does not really matter when it comes to governance until you matter". Corper Adisa asserted. The Chiefs moved and adjusted themselves in their seats.It was obvious that the young man had unsettled them.
"The people would continue to be deprived of the dividends of democracy until they are able to assemble and organize themselves into a formidable force and one people.That can not happen unless you get involved" Adisa continued.
"Democracy is a game of number,unless you get the number,you get nothing.Your situation is much better off considering the fact that you own a local government of your own.It doesn't get any better!" Adisa observes that the chiefs and the King are have fixed their gaze on him as he delivers his speech.
"It all begins with thinking much bigger of yourselves.Go memory lane,ask yourself,how did your forefathers managed the affairs of the land before the emergence of the white people?" Adisa continued.
"Your royal highness,your people need you to go proactive,they need you to take the bull by the horn and lead them to the promised land.It's high time you started thinking of yourself as the Head of State of Ijinle town," Adisa said.The King and his chiefs burst into laughter.
"This Corper go kill person o!" Otun said in the midst of his laughter
"O ga o!" Iyalode commented
"Corper,you are so funny you really think you can just stand up and do whatever you want in this country.You'll get hunted down and killed.What you've said may be possible in the developed world.I'm sorry,but that cannot happen in this jungle called Africa!" The King submitted
"Not when we do it right,sir...not when we do it together!" Adisa insisted. Everyone stopped laughing and gazed at Adisa who had just yelled at them.
"Corper,are you serious?" The King was surprised.
"Of course,I am,your majesty.I know this sounds awkward,but,it's worth trying...if you can just give me your maximum cooperation for just one year,I promise not only to help you gain the first class status but also help put a lot of infrastructure in place!"
"Corper! Do you know what you are saying?!" The Balogun yelled
"Yes,I do sir!" Adisa yelled back.
"But you have only six months to go..." Iyalode started
"I'm ready to stay another six months,even a year more just to prove my point!" Adisa interrupted and everybody went silent. They noticed the high level of seriousness and conviction with which Adisa is conversing with them.
"Okay,what happens if you fail?" The King broke the silence
"I'm ready to face the consequences sir" Adisa responded confidently.
No comments:
Post a Comment