Saturday, July 6, 2019

Call To Duty # 33

"Morning sir"
"Ah, Corper, good morning...please, take a seat!" The Chairman gestured him into a chair at his desk.
"Thank you sir"
"You're welcome. I hope you've enjoyed your stay with us so far?"
"Oh yes sir, I have...it's been quite exciting!"
"I see...and how has been your...what do you call that again?"
"CDS...Community Development Service sir"
"Aha! CDS, it's being a while I completed mine. So..."
"I understand sir" Adisa acknowledged with a smile.
"I can see that yours is much more elaborate than any other in the country...it's like you are gunning for the grand price with it ain't you?" The Chairman teased. Both men laughed.
"Actually sir, I wasn't interested in CDS, asin I had no plans embarking on any project. I got into trouble with the King and had used that as an excuse out of the mess"
"Trouble? I don't understand"
"Well...sir...it's a long story sir, really, but in short, I said something about the King's current rankings and how I think he could have gotten it right without resorting to begging of submitting to the Governor's pressure. He somehow got to hear about it and summoned me to his palace...and...that's how it all started sir!" Adisa narrated not quite sure if it was right to do so. The Chairman nodded slowly.
"Wooow! I can imagine how threatening and terrifying the whole thing might be for a little like you standing in front of rather angry elders in another man's land" The Chairman commented. The Corper laughed softly in approval.
"Well, corper, relax, I can see that you are tensed up, don't be, I'm not a foe but a friend. I actually called you to swear my allegiance with you on your developmental efforts, if you need anything that you feel I should be able to handle for you, please, feel free to contact me ASAP! Okay?"
"Oh! Thank you sir...wow! I really appreciate it sir, thank you much!"
"Oh, common, I'm the one that's supposed to be grateful not you. I mean, I joined politics...partially for financial gratification which I agree shouldn't be part of the motivation from the word 'go'...but, you know, man must 'wack na'!" The Chairman explained. The Corper agreed by nodding and smiling softly.
"That's the idea all over sir"
"Yea, but it shouldn't be...it shouldn't be.However, for me, the main reason is to help setup a little system of governance that'll result into a tiny window of extra opportunity for my people...you know? That was what I was doing and so far, I haven't been able to make a head coz...hmmm...the power that be in the state is so greedy that such mission is hopeless...you become an accomplice for their heinous agenda as soon as you join them. You are also afraid of leaving coz, you are afraid of the fact that it is suicidal in nature. Even when you are planning to leave, you can't tell a soul, not even your wife...it was that horrible until you came in my dear." The Chairman continued.
"Me, How? I haven't spent a year here sir!" Adisa inquired as he was surprised of what the Chairman had said. The Chairman laughed.
"You won't understand my dear, even if I explain"
"Please, try me, please, explain sir!" Adisa requested curiosly.
"Okay. Just before the News spread about your numerous town hall meetings with which you had prepared the town for the revolutionary development plans that you have, the Dynasty have been having very nasty times with the Federal government. The Leader was falling out of favor with local authorities all over, but, they dared say it. Some were fed up and have started speaking out but the bulk of them all, especially the Rural Fathers had no choice but to stay put. It was among the politicians that we have a handful showing their anger and enmity. But the moment the News filtered in that a Corps member is driving serious developmental programs home in his place of Primary assignment and he had a rock solid plan to not only bypass the State government but to find the much needed resources within the the town to achieve his goals, people like got inspired by the move and have ever since garnered enough courage to start thinking and acting on our own. We used to think of the Leader and the State government the Almighty powerful, but, with your inspirational re-orientation seminars you have been dishing out to the people of Ijinle, we have been freed from the mental slavery we've bonded to all our lives. As we speak, I'm planning to denounce the Dynasty of the so called Leader and join forces with my people and you to make the Local Government a region to beat in the State and Nigeria as a whole...all thanks to you, my friend!" The Chairman concluded. The Corper was speechless, he would allow the tears of joy he's been concealing while listening to the Chairman roll down his cheeks if he responds. The Chairman saw this.
"Don't worry, you don't have to say anything. Even if you stop contributing today, we can carry on by ourselves and the credits would still be yours! For your information, the Leader, would be receiving a shock of a life time this month end...he won't be getting a dime from me as the Chairman of this Local Government this month!!!"

No comments:

Call To Duty #40

The Local Government Chairman has been very busy. He had been so busy that he had almost forgot all about his political party that brought h...